21 Insightful Multi-Channel Marketing Statistics
If you’re killing it in one channel, imagine how your results could compound with a seamless customer experience across multiple marketing channels. Actually, there’s no need to imagine, because the results are in. Marketers are seeing how important multi-channel marketing is for connecting with customers, yet many organizations, especially SMBs, have significant technical barriers to overcome before all of their channels can start working together for the common good.
No matter where your marketing department is with adopting multi-channel marketing, here is a handy collection of 21 multi-channel marketing statistics to remind you that you’re on the right track and inspire you to go further. Your customers are out there just waiting to be engaged. Multi-channel marketing is your best shot at connecting with them in the new online, offline, and mobile world.
How important is multi-channel marketing to marketers?
1. 95% of marketers say that they know how important multi-channel is for targeting. (Multichannel Digital Marketing Report 2015)
2. 51% of marketers can’t react to new channels, devices, trends or competitors using their current tech. (Multichannel Digital Marketing Report 2015)
3. Marketers across the world agreed on a new definition of multi-channel marketing strategy that involves re-engineering the business around customer experience as “the single most exciting digital opportunity” in the market today. (Econsultancy, How important is multichannel marketing in APAC?)
4. Only 14% of organizations say they are currently running coordinated marketing campaigns across all channels. (CMO by Adobe, Three Issues Hindering Progress In Multichannel Marketing)
5. 46% of organizations currently deliver poor customer experiences that end up in cart abandonment. (Multichannel Digital Marketing Report 2015)
6. 72% of consumers say they would rather connect with brands and businesses through multi-channel.
(SailThru, Multi-Channel B2C Campaigns Realize a 24% Greater Return on Investment)
7. 73% of consumers are “likely” or “very likely” to visit a local store offline if the consumer can find in-store product availability information online. (Business2Community, 15 Stats to Explain Why Omni-Channel Is More Than Just a Buzzword)
What are the biggest barriers to multi-channel marketing?
8. 49% of marketers need help from IT whenever they want to add, edit, or manage content. (Multichannel Digital Marketing Report 2015)
9. Enterprises and “the tech elite” spend hundreds of thousands of dollars each year on technical, consulting, and content teams wiring up multi-channel campaigns. (Autopilot’s Examples of Multi-Channel Marketing: Right Person, Right Place, Right Time)
10. Many medium-sized companies don’t yet have the technical sophistication to maximize the email channel. (Econsultancy, The Reality of Multichannel Marketing)
11. Three data disconnects that scatter the customer identity:
- Customer demographics
- Metrics on how people are engaging with your product and website
- Email engagement
Customer data from these sources should be compiled, but end up siloed in different systems, resulting in “Who are we marketing to again?” syndrome. (Autopilot, Examples Multi-Channel Marketing: Right Person, Right Place, Right Time)
12. More than half of organizations say that “non-integrated tech platforms” are the single biggest barrier to running more integrated marketing activities. (CMO by Adobe, Three Issues Hindering Progress In Multichannel Marketing)
13. A vast number of SMBs simply don’t have the budget for multi-channel marketing because they are hamstrung by the cost of legacy tech. (Econsultancy, The Reality of Multichannel Marketing)
14. Coordinating multi-channel marketing efforts, including an email team, an analytics team, a social media team, etc., is often “like a symphony with many conductors.” (SailThru, Multi-Channel B2C Campaigns Realize a 24% Greater Return on Investment)
What the statistical results are multi-channel marketers seeing?
15. 40% of agency clients in the APAC region get more than a fourth of their e-commerce revenue from mobile, and almost 10% get the majority of their revenue from mobile. Multi-channel marketing has been critical in capturing that revenue. (Econsultancy, How important is multi-channel marketing in APAC?)
16. 40% of marketers chose paid search as the top driver of online sales, while 26% say display ads and 18% prefer social media. Multi-channel is the best of all worlds. (Direct Marketing, Multichannel Marketing: Top trends, analysis, news)
17. Multi-channel marketing has given retailer Zalora one of the most successful apparel e-commerce websites in APAC since 2012. (Econsultancy, How important is multichannel marketing in APAC?)
18. 50% of multi-channel marketers say they “usually” or “always” hit their financial targets. (CMO by Adobe, Three Issues Hindering Progress In Multichannel Marketing)
19. Nielsen Mobile found that 97% of text messages were opened within three minutes. (Direct Marketing, Multi-channel Marketing: Top trends, analysis, news)
20. After boosting digital to 30% of total media spend, consumer brand All saw huge gains in ad reach, customer persuasion, and brand persuasion. Their multi-channel Peanuts campaign delivered “one of our highest scoring TV ads that we ever developed.” (Direct Marketing, Multichannel Marketing: Top trends, analysis, news)
21. 88% of retailers reported that enabling ship-from-store either improved or significantly improved customer satisfaction ratings. (Business2Community, 15 Stats to Explain Why Omni-Channel Is More Than Just a Buzzword)
The Bottom Line: The firms that are investing heavily in multi-channel marketing are reaping big rewards from stronger customer engagement and reduced competition. Overcoming the technological barriers to implement multi-channel marketing is no easy task, but is a necessity for our increasingly online, offline, and mobile world.
Is your organization experimenting with multi-channel marketing or is it on the books for the near future? Have you come across any other insightful multi-channel marketing statistics? Let us know in the comments.